Close this search box.


10 Common Foods your Dog Should Never Eat

dog eating

We treat our dogs as part of our family. But often we forget that their needs are different from ours. What seems to be normal food for us may be potentially fatal for them. Here are 10 foods your dog should never eat.

So here is a list of 10 foods to never feed your dog:

  • Avocado: Never feed avocado to your dog. It contains a substance called persin which can be toxic to your dog. Persin is found in avocado leaves, fruit, seeds as well as bark.
  • Grapes and raisins: Even a small amount of grapes and raisins can be fatal for your dog as it may cause acute kidney failure.
  • Onion and garlic: Onions and garlic are not a healthy dog food. Feeding them to your dog can cause loss of red blood cells which may lead to anemia. Although a little amount is not harmful, feeding your dog a large quantity of onions and garlic at once or small amounts at regular intervals can be fatal.
  • Coffee: You may think a little coffee will do no harm to your dog but caffeine present in them can be harmful for a canine. Caffeine poisoning can lead to restlessness, fits, heart palpitations, and rapid breathing.
  • Chocolate: Chocolate, especially the dark ones, can be very harmful for your dog as it contains high level of toxic substances like caffeine and theobromine. Chocolate is not a healthy dog treat. Its consumption can lead to excessive thirst, seizures and even death.
  • Alcohol: Consumption of alcohol can cause dizziness, lack of coordination and vomiting to your dog. In severe cases it may lead to seizures, coma and even death.
  • Candy or Gum: Chewing gums are sweetened with xylitol. Its consumption can cause liver failure in dogs. Xylitol is also a common ingredient in candy, toothpaste and some diet foods.
  • Macadamia nuts: Eating just a few macadamia nuts can cause weakness, vomiting and tremors in dogs.
  • Peaches and Plums: Seeds or pits from these fruits can cause an inflamed small intestine or obstruction. Peach and plum pits both contain cyanide – we know not to eat the pits, but your dog does not.
  • Salt: It is deemed unwise to feed salty food to your dog. Consuming too much of salt can cause tremors, seizures, and even death.

Avoid feeding these foods to your dogs, instead opt for a healthy dog treat.

Share This:
Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top